Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Employment Arrives

The wait is over! My son went to fill out the paperwork for his new job today. The only hardship now is the job is in the next town so we will have four workers with four different schedules doing the one car shuffle. It will work out though. In a pinch he can figure out the fledgling bus schedule.

I never thought I would see buses in rural areas and small towns. I've read it was lobbyists for the care manufacturers who killed public transportation. This was their way to force the last holdouts to purchase automobiles and turn us willingly or not into the oil chugging car crazed nation we became. Perhaps the recession is helping us to evolve past that mentality. I dislike living in a country ruled by corporations. We need more common sense and more compassion as a nation.

Since I'm planning a move in the near future I don't want to purchase another vehicle. My husband grumbles about wanting another one each time he is inconvenienced and I have to remind him of the insurance and upkeep savings. I hope to keep us away from further debt so we can save as much as possible. The savings are building very slowly because bills keep popping up. I'm dreading the upcoming electric bill. The last one was quite nice at $89.00. Now after almost two weeks of record cold and actual snow (a small amount of snow, but it was enough to freak out people in Florida)that bill is going to be scary.

When we finally do get to an area with a lower cost of living and more job opportunities we will be prepared to do better financially. After making do with close to nothing for so long I will be able to do a lot more with a better paycheck. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo!! Congrats to your son for getting a job! (Sam is still looking.) Hear you totally about the car shuffle--anything, including walking, beats a car payment!

    ReplyDelete