Saturday, May 1, 2010

Strawberries Are Like Crack

I fell victim to merchandising yesterday. I was in the store running past the display when the smell wafted past me. Mmm, I stopped for a look and they were only two dollars. The smell was right and the price was right so I added the unplanned for item to my cart. I just washed the whole basket and started eating them one after the other trying to find just one that had a faint hint of strawberry taste.

When I was very small I used to eat wild strawberries. They grew everywhere in our yard and in the fields and in the forest. I gobbled them up whenever I found them. Much different then their modern factory farmed counterpart, they were the size of the tip of my pinkie finger and the taste...the taste was extraordinary.

I've read that the first time you take crack there is a tremendous high and then you chase that high and it is never quite the same as the first time. I imagine the people hooked on that drug feel much the same way as I feel after purchasing another package of strawberries. I have found berries that are quite good occasionally but I have never had a strawberry that even halfway matched the wild ones I gobbled up one after another when I was little. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment