Monday, November 2, 2009

On Being Frugal

Frugality for me is born out of necessity. Being frugal allows me to survive on a low wage. The job market is so tight in my area due to the economy that a typical Sunday paper will have two jobs advertised. Sometimes it seems as if it will pick up and there are four or six advertised. Mostly the ads are for nurses, waitstaff, or telemarketers.

I work at a grocery store which is a good place to work right now, considering that everyone still eats. When I work the service counter I cash a lot of unemployment checks.

I try to pay cash and save up for most things I need. Sometimes when I need a large ticket item I finance. I like to take advantage of six months same as cash offers when they are available. I just take the total cost of the item and divide it by the number of months I have before interest accrues and mark that amount in my calendar so I remember to pay it on time. You have to be organized and keep up with the payments to make this work. Credit cards are charging up to 30% now. Remember when 18% seemed high?

Food shopping is a precise, well planned affair. I keep my freezer and pantry stocked with items I bought on sale, most often at buy one get one free, and I usually use coupons for the sale items as well. I read the weekly sales flyer's for all the grocery stores in my area, match coupons with sales, and make my shopping list accordingly. I buy the produce I need at a local produce stand unless the grocery store sale prices are better. I usually save 60 to 70% off the regular price.

It can be done, you just have to plan your purchases and stock up what you can when you find a good sale. I once bought a pack of ten pens, six bottles of shampoo, four bottles of dish detergent, two hairsprays,and four jars of peanuts for $1.35.

No comments:

Post a Comment