Monday, January 4, 2010

Little Things Revisited

I have a lot of tasks to accomplish each day as millions of others do. Work takes a big portion of my time. Keeping up with a household, caring for my family, and surviving financially can weigh on me too. Days off are often spent running errands, cleaning, or organizing. My point is all this monotony can weigh you down.

In an earlier post I wrote about my dryer breaking. I was dealing with it just fine, hanging everything out to dry and keeping up with things. Now my washer broke.

Years ago in a fit of frugality and independence I purchased appliance repair books. I was sure I could figure it out when a future problem happened. I looked through them. They had a trouble shooting guide and diagrams and step by step instructions. Only one problem, now that I need them, my brain turns to butter when when I try to even glance at these books. My husband tried to look at them too. Then he asked me to fix it. I realize now that we must be incapable of this.

Our routine has now changed and we have another day off task to accomplish. We have to go to the laundromat. Trudging into the crowded place with basket after basket of uniforms, regular clothing, smelly towels, and dog bandannas. We could resent this new intrusion on our time. However, I am determined to find the bright side. I will make the most of this.

My husband was dragging baskets to the car today and muttering about wanting more free time and how awful it was we had to go to the laundromat and couldn't we have another go with the repair manual. We loaded up the washers, and sat. I pulled a deck of cards out of my purse and soon our grumpiness was gone. We were able to get all of our laundry done at once and spend quality time together. Matter of fact we got a few jealous looks from grumpy people who didn't want to spend time doing their laundry where they had to wait for a dryer.

My point? Find small moments, little wisps of happiness everyday, in the most unusual of circumstances, or in the most common of chores. Seek out the joy in everything you do.

As we loaded the last basket in the car, my husband laughed and said,"You know, I had the most wonderful time doing laundry with you."

Of course maybe that was because he beat me at rummy 335 to my 225.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog; I read it this morning. I think we have a lot of common threads in our blogs--from finances to making the most of life. We certainly share that philosophy of celebrating the small moments! I loved this post and how the trip to the laundromat turned out fine because you two played cards and had fun. I look forward to continuing to read your blog; by all means, keep coming back to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought back some wonderful memories. When I was in my 20's I lived in a real artsy community and when ever I went to the laundry mat there would always be somebody there with a musical instrument playing or practicing. There were many, many impromptu concerts and jam sessions there and sometimes even when I wasn't doing laundry and just passing by I would pop in to listen. I wrote on my blog, and I truly believe, that the happiest people don't have the best of everything; they make the best of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for visiting. Wow, what a fantastic laundromat!

    ReplyDelete