Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Off to the Races

Days off are almost always spent on errands. Make a long list and run here and there checking items off as you go. That's how it always ends up for me. I love being productive and having several accomplishments for the day, just not every day! It's definitely time to free up a day in the schedule for a beach or a state park trip, some small leisure to break the monotony. I've moaned enough, I'm off to the laundromat and the bank and the grocery store....

I'll leave you with one of my favorite work stories. I waited on a young woman in a grocery store. She paid for her eggs, milk, and cheese with a WIC voucher. She could have also received cereal and dried beans. I asked her if she wanted me to get them for her and she said, "Nah, that's alright. It's no big deal." She then bought a small amount of groceries which she paid for with food stamps. Then she bought cigarettes and diapers and she paid cash. I went to hand her thirty eight cents in change and she said, "You give those thirty eight cents to someone who needs them."

It was all I could do not to laugh. That night when I dropped my thirty eight cents in the change jar and told my family we were rolling with laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! And that was 38 cents more in your change jar at the end of that day.

    On the other hand, I would want to find that young woman and say "look, we need to talk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, we didn't have penny jars for customers. I would have put it there if we did. I could have said something but I was at work. All it takes is one complaint to corporate about an employee and it is an automatic firing in most companies. I am always aware of this rule.

    Her "generosity" was just strange. I've been there. I left a bad situation with only the clothes on my back and had to go on assistance. I know how little there is and how hard you have to stretch every penny to survive. I never tossed spare change about like that. I knew that it added up to more diapers or gas to get to work or school. My husband said she must have been getting extra help from someone. I think she may have just been budgeting ignorant.

    ReplyDelete